The workshop clean up was delayed, I just had to get the VFO working. When I built the kit a few months back I did not solder one of the headers! Found that this afternoon, soldered it and all was well.
First job was to setup the IF at signal frequency + 9Mhz. Then a quick run through to see if all the functions were working as they should.
I like the minimal display. It would be even better to be able to go back to using one the old Eddystone slow motion drives like this one on a G2DAF RX from 1963. No water falls, flashing lights, bleeps, tones or warning messages on screen. Don’t get me wrong there is a place for all of that but sometimes I just want a radio that is simple and easy to operate without the need for an A4 ring binder full of instructions.
At the end of the afternoon this is what I had; a VFO covering all bands from 160M – 10M with the IF set to 9Mhz and giving about 80mV P-P of sine wave ready to go straight into the mixer.